Community Car Club – Award of contract to Malvern Hills Car Club to run an 18 month pilot car club scheme in up to six areas.
• A community car club is a local,
member-based initiative that provides access to pay-as-you-drive
vehicles. Community car clubs are typically run by local groups to
support their communities
• Car clubs can improve accessibility to transport provision for residents particularly in rural areas
• Car clubs can help households reduce their carbon footprint by not owning a car and having more consideration about car use
• A number of towns and villages have expressed interest in establishing community clubs including Leominster, Ross, Ledbury, Kington, Sutton St Nicholas and Fownhope
• Herefordshire residents are enthusiastic but a high level of commitment and knowledge is required to set up a scheme
• New car clubs cannot currently get insurance so hence the direct award to MHCC to administer this pilot
• MHCC helped support the establishment of the St James & Bartonsham car club. MHCC has also been liaising and offering advice to residents in towns and villages currently interested in establishing a community car club.
Decision type: Non-key
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Notice of proposed decision first published: 02/09/2021
Decision due: 23 August 2021 by Director of Economy and Place
Contact: Neil Taylor, Interim director of economy and place Email: Neil.Taylor@herefordshire.gov.uk Tel: 01432 260921.