Quarter 2 Budget & Performance Report
To review performance for Quarter 2 2021/22 and the final budget outturn for the year.
To provide assurance that progress has being made towards delivery of the agreed revenue budget and service delivery targets, and that the reasons for major variances or potential under-performance are understood and are being addressed to the cabinet’s satisfaction.
The cabinet member finance, corporate services and planning introduced the report and highlighted the key points. The projected budget outturn was noted as an underspend of £152k. The impact of covid on service delivery continued with not all areas eligible for grant funding. The capital programme was broadly on track and the re-profiling that had taken place resulted in a saving on the projected costs of borrowing. Some other planned savings were proving difficult to achieve.
Cabinet members discussed the report and highlighted key achievements and challenges from the second quarter. It was noted that the council had a legal obligation to balance its books but central government did not. Inadequate funding from central government led to a need to deliver savings.
Group leaders and representatives presented their comments on the report. Points highlighted included that:
· the council needed to be realistic about the level of savings that could be achieved, particularly in children’s services with the improvement process currently underway;
· investment in the Hereford Enterprise Zone was welcomed but debate continued as to whether a southern link road should be constructed;
· communities needed support to recover from covid and a number of positive things were coming out of this;
· it was unfortunate that savings were required but teams were to be congratulated for achieving them.
It was resolved that:
a) Cabinet, having reviewed the performance and financial forecast for year 2021/22 as set out in appendices A – F, has not identified any additional actions to be considered to achieve future improvements.
- Quarter 2 Budget & Performance Report, item 71. PDF 373 KB
- Appendix A - Revenue budget forecast, item 71. PDF 279 KB
- Appendix B - Capital budget outturn, item 71. PDF 461 KB
- Appendix C - Treasury Management, item 71. PDF 264 KB
- Appendix D - Debt write-offs, item 71. PDF 92 KB
- Appendix E - Savings delivery, item 71. PDF 335 KB
- Appendix F - Delivery plan dashboards, item 71. PDF 339 KB
- Appendix G - Covid-19 risk register, item 71. PDF 101 KB