Agenda and minutes
Venue: Online Meeting
Contact: Matthew Evans Democratic Service
Apologies for Absence
To receive apologies for absence.
No apologies for absence were received.
Named Substitutes (if any)
To receive any details of Members nominated to attend the meeting in place of a Member of the committee.
There were no substitutes present at the meeting.
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations of interests in respect of Schedule 1, Schedule 2 or Other Interests from members of the committee in respect of items on the agenda.
There were no declarations of interest made.
To consider an application for a grant of a premises licence in respect of The Agents House, Whitney Village Road, Whitney on Wye, Herefordshire. HR3 6EH.
Members of the licensing sub-committee from the Council’s Planning and Regulatory Committee considered the above application, full details of which appeared before the members in their agenda, published on the 2 October 2023.
Prior to making their decision the Council’s Senior Licensing Officer presented the report which outlined the options available to the sub-committee. Two representations had been received from the responsible authorities, Trading Standards and the Licensing Authority: the sets of conditions proposed had been accepted by the applicant. Three relevant representations had been received from members of the public in line with the licensing objective Prevention of Public Nuisance, which the licensing authority had accepted as being relevant. Following sight of the public representations, the applicant decided to withdraw the need for recorded music off the application, therefore two of the representations fell away. One relevant representation remained which was considered by the licensing sub-committee.
The sub-committee then heard from the applicant that:
· The application was to offer alcoholic beverages to guests staying at the bed and breakfast, upon arrival or with an evening meal;
· The public representation objecting to the application referred to the potential for noise nuisance. The bed and breakfast was located in an area close to a main road, a petrol station, a campsite, a pub and other bed and breakfasts. Noise was audible from these facilities, within the area, in particular the campsite; and
· The only music to be played would be background music for guests.
Following questioning by the subcommittee it was confirmed that:
· The bed and breakfast intended to offer alcohol to guests over an evening meal;
· Alcohol would only be provided to guests staying at the bed and breakfast; and
· Guests could take alcoholic drinks into the garden to the seating area and counter top.
The sub-committee carefully considered all the representations, reports and evidence before them. They have had regard to their duties under S4 of the Licensing Act and considered guidance issued under s182 of the Licensing Act 2003 and Herefordshire Council’s Statement of Licensing Policy 2020 - 2025.
The sub-committee’s decision is to grant the application as applied for with the additional conditions which were put forward by the Licensing Authority and Trading Standards and agreed by the applicant.
The sub-committee has considered the verbal representations heard today and the written representation from a member of the public, and fully recognise the concerns raised and the reasons why the representation was made, however the sub-committee considers the application made, with the additional conditions will promote the licensing objectives.