Issue - meetings
Effective Scrutiny of Children’s Services: training and development offer
To review and approve the Local Government Association (LGA) scrutiny training and development offer.
- Appendix A - LGA Offer Effective Scrutiny of Children’s Services: training and development offer, item 40 PDF 764 KB
- Appendix B - Introduction to Effective Scrutiny, item 40 PDF 573 KB
- Appendix C -Effective Scrutiny Self Assesment, item 40 PDF 764 KB
- Corrected Appendix A - support offer, item 40 PDF 449 KB
The Democratic Services Manager and Children’s Improvement Advisor from the Local Government Association (LGA) introduced the report the purpose of which was to review and approve the LGA scrutiny training and development offer.
During discussion the following principal points were noted:
· The training and development offer by the LGA was being trialled by three councils that were on different stages of a Children’s Services improvement journey: Medway, Dudley and Herefordshire.
· As a result of discussions with both officers and Councillors and input from the Children’s Services Improvement Board there would be bespoke elements for the Herefordshire offer.
· The self-assessment tool would enable the Committee to identify areas where specific improvement was needed.
· Core elements of good scrutiny were built into the programme but the sessions would also target those areas identified in the self-assessment.
· Work was also being undertaken with the Centre for Governance and Scrutiny (CfGS) on more general scrutiny training which would dovetail with the LGA’s specific offer for Children’s Scrutiny.
· The CfGS scrutiny training would look to involve officers so that learning was embedded across the Council.
· The training would require a commitment from the Committee over and above that dedicated to meetings.
· The impact of the training would be reviewed after six months.
· There was excellent practice in other authorities showing how best the voice of children and young people could be captured and this would be shared with the Committee as part of the training.
· Co-optees would be included in the training.
The recommendations below were proposed and seconded and carried unanimously.
That the Committee notes the LGA training and development offer as set out in appendices A-C to the report and makes the following recommendations:
(a) The Committee agrees to engage with the LGA training and development offer.
(b) The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson to draft a response to the self-assessment tool after completing the Leadership Essentials Course and then discuss with Committee members in November 2021
(c) Notes that the LGA training will dovetail with the offer from the Centre for Governance and Scrutiny