Hereford Transport Package (HTP)
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider: feedback to the HTP Phase 2 consultation, assessment of the shortlist of possible bypass route corridor options, the recommended preferred bypass route corridor, the development of associated walking, cycling, bus and public realm (active travel) improvements and to confirm the scope of the Phase 3 consultation.
(a) having regard to the feedback to the HTP Phase 2 consultation report, the Stage 2 Scheme Assessment Report, the Stage 2 Environmental Assessment Report, the Route Selection Report and the Preferred Route Report, the red route (as identified in Appendix 5) be approved as the preferred route for further scheme development for the Hereford bypass;
(b) subject to approval of recommendation (a) above, a further round (phase 3) of consultation on the detailed proposals for a scheme based on the red route corridor and complementary active travel measures be undertaken to gather stakeholder feedback to assist with informing a future decision by Cabinet to confirm the route for the bypass and recommended active travel measures which will together form the Hereford Transport Package, prior to submission for planning and other necessary permissions;
(c) the director for economy, communities and corporate be authorised to take all necessary steps to progress detailed design and, consultation including commissioning external professional advisers as required to inform future decisions on the Hereford Transport Package to a maximum cost of £2.45m;
(d) the proposed responses (at paragraphs 58 to 61) to the recommendations of General Scrutiny Committee be approved; and
(e) officers bring forward a report on options for supporting those who may be affected.
Alternative options considered:
1. One option would be to select one of the other route corridors as the basis for developing the bypass scheme. This is not recommended because to do so would not be supported by the technical evidence presented in the appended reports and could therefore be subject to challenge.
2. A second option would be to not select a route corridor at this stage and seek further assessment of the options or a sub set of the options. This is not recommended as the assessment carried out to date is considered robust to inform the selection of a single route corridor for scheme development. Deferring a decision on the preferred corridor for further assessment would add significant delay to the programme for taking forward the scheme, prolong the uncertainty for residents and landowners affected by the short list of routes and incur significant additional costs.
3. An option for proceeding with the Hereford growth proposals without the provision of a bypass was considered and discounted during the Core Strategy process. Not progressing this work will mean the HTP objectives and core strategy growth targets cannot be achieved.
Reason Key: Expenditure and strategic nature / impact on communities;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Contact: Mairead Lane, Head of Infrastructure Delivery Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01432 260944.
Report author: Mairead Lane
Publication date: 27/07/2018
Date of decision: 27/07/2018
Decided at meeting: 27/07/2018 - Cabinet
- Hereford Transport Package (HTP), main report PDF 1 MB
- Appendix 1 - Phase 2 Consultation Report PDF 46 MB
- Appendix 2 - Stage 2 Scheme Assessment Report PDF 32 MB
- Appendix 3 - Stage 2 Environmental Assessment Report PDF 97 MB
- Appendix 4 - Route Selection Report PDF 10 MB
- Appendix 5 - Preferred Route Report PDF 2 MB
- Appendix 6 - Active Travel Measures Report PDF 5 MB
- Appendix 7 - Equality Impact Assessment PDF 947 KB
- HTP Presentation to Scrutiny Committee PDF 2 MB