Purpose of committee
Minutes are taken at Cabinet Meetings. All records of decisions made at Cabinet can be found by clicking the ‘Decisions’ link on this page.
The Executive or Cabinet of the Herefordshire Council consists of a Leader and Deputy Leader and five other Cabinet Members each with their own individual programme area responsibilities. The current Cabinet membership is:
Corporate Strategy and Finance
Councillor AW Johnson (Leader) (Conservative)
Contracts and Assets
Councillor H Bramer (Conservative)
Health and Wellbeing
Councillor PM Morgan (Deputy Leader) (Conservative)
Economy and Corporate Services
Councillor GJ Powell (Conservative)
Councillor PD Price (Conservative)
Transport and Roads
Councillor P Rone (Conservative)
Young People and Children’s Wellbeing
Councillor J Lester (Conservative)
The Cabinet’s roles are:
· To consider the overall management and direction of the Council. Directed by the Leader of the Council, it will work with senior managers to ensure the policies of Herefordshire are clear and carried through effectively;
· To propose to Council a strategic policy framework and individual strategic policies;
· To identify priorities and recommend them to Council;
· To propose to Council the Council’s budget and levels of Council Tax;
· To give guidance in relation to: policy co-ordination; implementation of policy; management of the Council; senior employees in relation to day to day implementation issues;
· To receive reports from Cabinet Members on significant matters requiring consideration and proposals for new or amended policies and initiatives;
· To consider and determine policy issues within the policy framework covering more than one programme area and issues relating to the implementation of the outcomes of monitoring reviews.
If you require any further information about meetings of Cabinet please contact, Governance Services on (01432) 260201 or e-mail: email@example.com.
The Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Meetings and Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2012
The above Regulations supersede the previous Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2010. The Regulations apply to Executive Decisions and do not relate to Decisions taken by Council, a Committee, or an Officer on behalf of Council where similar but significantly different processes apply.
From 10 September 2012, it is no longer necessary to publish a Forward Plan. However, from that date there is a requirement to give 28 days’ notice of a Key Decision to be taken.
Decisions by the Executive are decisions which are to be taken by the Cabinet as a whole, or decisions which are to be taken by individual Cabinet Members, and in some very limited cases, by Council officers. Key decisions are defined as:
a) Any decision in relation to an executive function which results in the Council incurring expenditure which is, or the making of savings which are, significant having regard to the Council’s budget for the service or function concerned. A threshold of £500,000 is regarded as significant, or
b) Any other decision which in the opinion of the Monitoring Officer is likely to be significant in terms of its effect on:
· Two or more wards or electoral divisions
· One ward (unless the number of those affected is very small or it is impractical to treat this as a Key decision).
28 Day Notices, and any non-exempt papers supporting the item, are published to the Council’s website and are available for inspection at Area Offices.
Other documents may be submitted and, at least five clear days before the decision in question is taken, a report will be submitted to the decision maker which identifies the options and the consultations undertaken.
Reports or documents which do not contain exempt or confidential information may be inspected during normal office hours at the Area Offices. Copies of these Reports or documents may be supplied on payment of “postage, copying or other necessary charge for transmission”.
Governance Services, The Shire Hall, St Peter’s Square, Hereford, HR1 2HX.
Telephone: (01432) 260201; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councillor AW Johnson (Chairman)
- Councillor PM Morgan (Vice-Chairman)
- Councillor H Bramer
- Councillor JG Lester
- Councillor GJ Powell
- Councillor PD Price
- Councillor P Rone
Support officer: David Penrose.